Willenhall History Society
Holly Bank Colliery began life as Essington Wood Colliery circa 1850. It was owned by Samuel Mills of the Darlaston Steel Company. In 1895 the Essington Wood Colly went into liquidation and the Holly Bank Trust Company was set up. Under the energetic direction of J.C. Forest the company thrived and became one of the major producers in the area. In 1924 the Hilton Main Colliery was opened and the two were linked together but production at Holly Bank declined due to geological faults and production ceased in 1952. Hilton Main closed in 1969.